Mr. Gilmore's first antique car and first restoration was the 1920 Model 31 Pierce-Arrow touring car now in the Pierce-Arrow Museum.
It was Mr. Gilmore's wife, Genevieve, who suggested the idea of turning the collection into a museum where the restored cars could be appreciated by car enthusiasts from all over the world. The Gilmore Car Museum opened to the public for the first time on Sunday, July 31, 1966.
Located amid immaculate landscaping, the Museum features nine antique Michigan barns. There is also an early 20th century reproduction gas station which serves as an interpretive center plus the early Americana “Red Barn”.. There is a collection of over 75 vintage pedal cars, and a vintage motorcycle museum..
Among the Gilmore displays are many unusual vintage vehicles, including an 1899 Locomobile and early steam, electric and gasoline powered cars. Other rare collectibles include a 1903 Michigan, made in Kalamazoo, and a Cadillac styling concept car developed for 2002. Visitors will also find a double-decker London bus which tours the grounds during car shows and special weekends.
The Gilmore offers group tours, corporate and company picnics, civic functions, family reunions, weddings and wedding receptions as well as other large gatherings. Tour buses are easily accommodated on the grounds, and automobile clubs often rally to the museum and are allowed special parking privileges. Group rates are available, but reservations must be made in advance of arrival.
|Copyright 2012, The Pierce-Arrow Foundation|